Friday, July 07, 2006

Feeling very emotional today.

I went to Kings Cross this morning and laid some flowers in memory of those who lost their lives or were injured this time last year. This time two years ago I was getting the final arrangements in place to be married. So this time last year, as I was travelling to work, I was thinking about our first wedding anniversary and where we would be going away. I had my ipod on loudly and was daydreaming so missed the bang but over the next few days and months would certainly see the effects.

I’ve been thinking about last July 7th all morning whilst travelling in to work and now I’m at work and everything seems normal. I guess that is one of the most remarkable and noteworthy points about what happened to London, the fact that everyone was able to pull together and carry on. My heart goes out to the families of those who lost loved ones last year and to the survivors though. We must never forget what happened. What happened at that moment but also how people reacted to it afterwards and the following pride of being a Londoner.

So our wedding anniversary is on Sunday. Last year we were away and this year we’ll be watching the world cup final. One thing I really remember from July 8th last year is once we got to Babington house we went for a walk in a corn field. It all seemed so quiet and peaceful. It felt like all I’d heard was noise and crying and police and ambulance sirens for what had seemed like forever but had only been a day. I wanted to read everything in the newspapers and couldn’t stop watching the telly. But yet I really remember that moment of peace.

We were also in the process of buying a house last year – and moved in on the 14th. So the 2 minutes silence last year was shortly before we picked up our keys. Two of our friends and their baby are moving today – I hope they have a relatively stress free day. Three other friends are moving next week – so good luck to them as well. And this makes me think about all these events that are interconnected and remind me of happy and sad things. Our house has a garden so the flowers I took this morning were from there – North London flowers. More connections.

Make sure you take time out today to think about what you’ve got as well as what you may have lost. To my husband, family and friends – I love you all.

No comments: